Minute Man National Historical Park, The Meriam House, Concord, MA, 1705

The Meriam House is a rare American treasure that was once in the midst of the beginning of the American Revolution in April, 1775, 70 years after its original construction. Located at Meriam’s Corner on the westerly end of the Battle Road in Concord, Massachusetts, this structure was a witness to the retreating British in the Revolutionary War, and shielded the Minute Men as they chased the British back to Boston. The original house is the front section. The ell was added in the mid 1800’s and the dairy was added in late 1800’s.

Scott McDowell was extensively involved in the restoration of this great home and also

supervised the retrofitting of modern necessities required by the Park Service of heating, smoke alarms and sprinkler systems as well as installation of comfort station in the garage area - all in a compatible and non-intrusive style.

Scott completed the siding on the rear section of the house using new quarter sawn clapboards, which Scott then hand scarved and fitted, as was done by the craftsmen of the time, and fastened with replication cut nails. Scott also restored several windows. He replicated windows on the back of house, circa 1850, and restored the window in the dairy, the further ell off the back. He also rebuilt the window frames as well. Scott then crafted the little door to the rear entrance of the

creamery and constructed the sliding barn door on the bathroom section, which cleverly hides the restroom doors.

Scott was extensively involved with the interior as well. In the dairy, He restored the wooden wainscoting, and installed new wide pine floors carefully matching them to existing flooring. In the main house, Scott supervised work by subcontractors and carefully removed and replaced all historic fabric, including wood on the floors, trim, etc. As a matter of course, Scott pays very special attention to detail. For instance, the glass used in the restored windows is recycled period glass, salvaged out of old windows from the period, to provide the authenticity that is so important to the character of the structure.